STUDY 46, November 14 2021
STUDY 46, November 14 2021
2nd Sunday before Advent November 14, 2021
THEME: COVENANT WITH THE LIVING GOD
SUB-THEME 7: The Lord God of all nations (6)
TOPIC: The Nation of Israel and Covenant with the Living God
TEXTS: Exod. 20: 1-3; Jer. 2: 4-11
AIMS: i. to find out the genesis of Israel’s covenant with God and
ii. to analyze the covenant’s benefit and the consequence of Israel’s breaking the covenant.
INTRODUCTION: In the Old Testament, the nation of Israel is referred to as the people of God birthed through Abraham’s lineage after God had called him out of his people (Gen. 12: 1-3). God entered into a covenant relationship to make a mighty nation of him (Gen. 15: 17-20). This was renewed with all the patriarchs and had its climax in the Ten Commandments given to Moses on Mount Sinai. The covenant described in Exodus chapters 19-24 and in Deuteronomy has features of a suzerain-vassal treaty (between the powerful and his subjects), a legal instrument that the Israelites would readily have understood. There were therefore benefits for Israel’s keeping the terms of this covenant and also dire consequences for her breaking them.
1. Give your understanding of ‘the nation of Israel and covenant with the living God’? Gen. 15: 17-20
2. How did Israel get into this covenant relationship with the living God and what were the benefits? Gen 17:9-13; Deut. 7: 6-8, 11; Heb 13:20-21.
3. What was the responsibility for Israel and anyone today in covenant relationship with the living God? Exod. 20: 1-4; ; 1 Pet. 2: 9-10
4. What is the consequence of breaking the covenant relationship with God? Deut 4:23-27; 27:15; Psalm 115:4.
CONCLUSION: God fulfilled all the covenant terms with Abraham and his descendants (Israel). It is very important that Israel and the New Israel of God (Christians) keep to covenant terms so as to enjoy the benefits attached to them (eternal life) and not suffer the consequences of disobedience.
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: God keeps His covenants faithfully, so we must also be faithful to Him.
MEMORY VERSE: Heb 13:20-21 “Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well-pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen”.
Best of Our Stories
- New and Classic Ankara Long Gown Styles for Weddings; Occasions
- How To Vote On BBNaija 2021 – Vote For Your Favorite Housemate
- Dare Adekoya – Behold the Face Behind BBN Season 6 Sponsor, His Biography, Net worth
- From Akara Selling to Becoming a Counselor – Touching Story of Ugochinyere Eze the Akara seller